So you have seen the picture of a guy or a woman in a fashion magazine. They have hip piercings and you think they look great and so you have decided to get one. The good news is that it is very easy for you to get any type of body piercing today. No matter what your preference is, you are going to find its answer in the market. Hip piercings are, well, just so hip, especially if you have them where they can be seen and admired. Being a kind of surface piercing, they should be easy to take care of and they heal fast. You will never regret going for this piercing. Beauty might be in the face, but hips don’t lie.
The don’ts of hip piercings
It is not about what you should do for your hip piercing, but it is rather what you should not do.
1. Do not wear tight clothing that will press, rub and cause disturbance to the piercing before it is healed. It is important that you take good care of your hip piercing so that rejection or migration does not occur. Chances of rejection are very high considering that this is a surface piercing and therefore you should seek the best piercer. The type of anchoring that is used is very important because if rejection will occur, it starts with the anchoring.
2. Do not use table salt or rock salt to make the saline solution that you will use in the after care of the hip piercing. With the solution, you should clean the piercing at least two times every day.
3. Do not use antibacterial soaps because such contain harsh chemicals that might penetrate into the hip piercing when you are taking a shower. Even after bathing, you should then commence on cleaning the piercing and the area around it with the saline solution. Twist the jewellery a little to let the saline solution penetrate.
4. Don’t handle your piercing with dirty hands. You should be very careful to dip your hands in disinfectant so that you reduce the risk of infection. Although a piercing is a tiny wound, it should nevertheless be handled with care, just like a big wound.
5. Do not replace the surgical jewellery with your own trendier jewellery before the recommended healing time is finished. During healing, it is when the greatest care of the piercing should be taken so that the risks of migration and rejection are reduced. Like all other surface piercings, there is a possibility that even after the hip piercing is healed; it could still be provoked to migration or rejection.
6. Do not ignore or take for granted the instructions of the piercer. The piercer knows best and in any case, he/she works under the control and regulation of the local health board. So he should be able to know the right piercing after care instructions to give you.
Why should you go for hip piercings?
Just like the hippie style of the 60s, hip piercings are fast becoming a favourite with people who love to turn heads wherever they go. Hip piercing is about personality and style.
If all your friends have this piercing, then it would help you a lot to fit in once you get yours. The good news is hip piercing is common and so many piercers will be willing to do it. Although it is done for aesthetic purposes only, you should find it very impressive. If you take good care of the piercing, it is going to heal nicely although it might take a bit longer. After all, it is a surface piercing and such take longer to heal.
How is hip piercing done?
Hip piercing is a very simple process. Once you decide on it, you should embark on getting a good reputable piercer to do it for you.
The punch and taper method is usually used and it is very effective. In this method, the piercer punches a hole straight intro the skin and then lifts the skin surrounding it with a taper, and he commences on inserting the anchoring. This is a benefit in more than one way. One benefit is that it should be easy to remove should rejection occur. Another advantage is this kind of piercing is aesthetic in that the jewel seems to be sitting directly on the skin. Many piercers relish performing this operation because it is easy and fast.
For symmetry and balance or simply for appearance, many people prefer to have both sides of their hips pierced. This makes the piercing even trendier.
Note that only the reputable piercers should do this piercing for you. It is important that you make sure that the piercer uses sterile tools.